Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What Hulk On Herald Island?

From the start of the 20th.century, the Waitemata Harbour's upper reaches were the dumping ground for many old ships.
Until the 1940s, the area past Herald Island (between Hobsonville and Greenhithe) was regarded as "fair game" for ship owners who wished to get rid of unwanted hulks: they simply towed them past Herald Island and left them to the elements.
When the Auckland Harbour Bridge opened in 1959, the Devonport Steam Co.-owned vehicular ferries Goshawk and Sparrow Hawk were no longer needed, so were just run aground up at Lucas Creek and burnt.
The skeletons of many abandoned ships lay undisturbed until 1996, when the now-defunct Auckland Regional Council began a big waterways clean-up. The remains were lifted out and taken to the Albany landfill. Some of the vessels' heavy timbers, such as keels and sternposts (submerged in mud) were still sound.
The oldest remains left are of the 115ft.paddle steamer Tongariro, built on Auckland's North Shore (of components made in Scotland) and launched on 10 January 1878. She was originally used for trading with Thames on the Coromandel Peninsula. In her first months on the job, after criticism of her abilities, a race was arranged between her and rival steamer City of Cork to Brown's Island and back. Tongariro won (by only a few minutes) but her bearings became so hot that water needed to be poured on them! Later she worked the Kaipara, then served as a stand-by passenger ferry on the City-North Shore run for the Devonport Steam Ferry Company, and took fishing excursions around the Gulf.
When her survey expired in 1905, she was sold for £60 and left on the Little Shoal Bay mudflats. Some newspapers said once her engines and paddles were removed, the hulk was towed to Herald Island (then called Pine Island), to be used as a breakwater. But were those sources correct? Was she dumped there?

Monday, October 3, 2011

Carving Up The Mad Butcher

I'll never chew on
your sausage again!
Never thought I’d see the day when people started to bag The Mad Butcher!
Sir Peter Leitch (knighted in 2010 for services to philanthropy and sport) was accused last week of "sucking up to (Prime Minister) John Key big time” by Labour MP Darien Fenton.
Ms Fenton, who called Sir Peter a "sycophant" and said she’d never shop in one of his stores again, has since apologised. (Ahhhhh, but there may also be a degree of ‘sour grapes’ there, as Fenton lost to Key in the Helensville seat at the 2008 election.)
Sir Peter: "I honestly don't know what to say - and it's not often that I'm lost for words. I'm absolutely gutted." Sir Peter said he supported Helen Clark when Labour was in power and took her to Warriors matches: "The National Party never complained."
sad butcher...?
Most Labour MPs including leader Phil Goff distanced themselves from Ms Fenton's outburst, calling it unwise. But she’s now been joined by Labour list MP Louisa Wall: "We would’ve assumed Sir Peter was a working-class champion. If you look at what the National Government has done, it has taken workers' rights backwards."
Pathetic! Trying to twist Sir Peter’s public support of John Key, and offering him a seat at the Warriors NRL grand final, into some sort of ‘dumping on the working class’ argument!
Sir Peter said it was unfair she was taking her frustrations out on the 37 Mad Butcher stores (which he sold in 2007, but still promotes): on Facebook, Fenton suggested a boycott of the chain.
Ok, so the General Election’s only weeks away and all MPs want recall on Polling Day…but to be remembered as the arse who dumped on a revered national icon is not recommended. We know Labour doesn’t have a shit-show of regaining power this time round, but these two MPs surely have bigger issues to focus on, than a generous sports-mad ex-butcher who offers to take another guy to a league game!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Game On!

It’s official: the Japanese are coming!
The nasty Nippon whalers are set to resume their Antarctic hunt this summer with increased security, after being forced out of the Southern Ocean last season by Sea Shepherd.
The Japanese government decided it would be against the national interest to give in to the activists. Greenpeace Japan says the report is unconfirmed, but the Japanese government fisheries agency has requested more funds: an additional US$25 MILLION on top of the estimated US$40m cost of the programme to beef up security - no details yet on what type of security they're planning.
International Fund for Animal Welfare whales programme director, Patrick Ramage, said the news is not unexpected: ''It's disappointing but not surprising... this seems to be much more about pride than profit.'' Well, y'know what they say: pride cometh before a fall.
Japan's had the triple disasters of the earthquake, the tsunami, then the nuclear meltdowns and they've added some very big bottom lines to Japan's deficit and public debt. Yet they're not only rolling out the fleet again, but adding a massive extra cost to its already deep-in-the-red operation! Seems an insult to all the anti-whaling nations that so generously contributed in Japan's hour of need, wouldn't you say?
The whaling fleet normally leaves Japan mid-November and this year will operate in waters south of Australia. The reasons are two-fold:
(1) new regulations involving activity below the 60° south line have shut them out of the area where all the Japanese pelagic whaling is usually done.
(2) by operating south of The Land of Oz, there's more sea area in which to play hide-and-seek with SS.
Paul Watson says SS will have three ships ready to battle the whalers again in Operation Divine Wind 2011-2012, but would welcome the presence of an Australian govt.vessel to monitor the action.
Aussie Green Party leader Bob Brown reckons his country isn't doing enough to stop the whaling, and he intends to raise the issue with Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Meanwhile, what's happening with the Australian case against Japanese whaling at the International Court of Justice..?